Sunday, April 1, 2007

Conference Weekend

I have learned that conference weekend means two things for me. First, I will spend my weekend glued to the t.v. to hear many uplifting and enlightening talks. Secondly, there will be food involved.
For the first part, I just wanted to put up something that was said that really made sense to me. In the saturday morning session Jeffrey R. Holland was talking about how it is important to be aware of the things that we say and how they affect ourselves and others. My favorite thing that he said was "No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse." Pretty powerful, yet simple. Don't you think?
As for the food, lets just say that i am VERY full. Today started with an apartment breakfast. Wow, there was a lot of food! We didn't even finish it all. I pretty much snacked on that through this morning's session. Then Kelly and I realized that we needed to take some stuff to the girls that we visit teach. One of the girls that we visit teach is allergic to flour so we have to get pretty creative. We decided to make some cool-shaped Jello Jigglers for her. The for the other girl that we go see I made some Andes mint cookies. So of course while I'm making those things, a little bit of them gets eaten. THEN for the afternoon session we had some carmel popcorn- really yummy, but not very good for you! Needless to say, I feel like I should go on a LONG jog right about now.
In other news, I've decided that I am going to try to read a bunch of children's books. It would be really hard for me to tell the kids that I will be teaching that they should read if I haven't read in years. Make sense? So I went to the library on thursday, got a library card, and rented 3 books. I am almost done with my first one which is The View From the Cherry Tree it's really good. I hope to finish it tonight.
Last thing I have to say is- I HATE GROWING UP! Ok- there are some good parts about growing up, but come on! Who wants to make so many decisions! Right now I am really just trying to figure out what I want to do with this summer! Im now thinking of going home from the end of April to mid June, then doing the 3 weeks of being an EFY counsellor that I am signed up for, and then coming back out west to work for a month and a half where one of my friends works. For some reason moving to work scares me a whole lot more than moving away to go to school. The good part of that plan would be that for the beginning of summer I wouldn't have a job and could to a lot of visiting family. Anyways... we'll have to see. If only someone would make the decision for me!

No comments: